Queen

Queen

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Whose Reality is it Anyway?

Someone once called me "naive" for having (what I believe to be) a reasonable expectation for people to treat each other with basic human decency and respect...to at least do unto others as they would want done unto them. The most vexing thing about this comment towards me was that it came from the wife of a "spiritual leader." I wondered what I wasn't getting.


I know a lot of people believe that the 'reality' is that people will behave in self-serving, materialistic, and sometimes hanus ways and that is what we should expect. But whose 'reality' are we talking about, and what is 'reality' anyway? I began to ponder 'reality' and what it really means. I mean, an impoverished person in the United States certainly has a different 'reality' than an impoverished person say in Somalia or the Sahel Region.  The reality of how I see myself and who I see myself to be may be different than how others perceive me. This thought is really what sent me on my quest.


Deepak Chopra explained that there is "perceptual reality," which is each person's experience of the universe. Perceptual reality is influence by history, environment, and cultural and social norms. In essence, it's how we perceive things as individuals. He went on to say the the "ultimate reality" is the field of infinite possibilities, the potential for these 'realities.' He states that our 'perceptual realities' change in different states of consciousness.(see link below)

Lately, I have been struggling between this idea of my "naivete' " and this 'reality' that is suppose to protect me from pain.  If I succumb to this 'reality,' would it  mean losing my ability to trust, not caring, and living a solitary life? Sure, I might protect myself from pain...but wouldn't I also prevent myself from feeling pleasure? It's like the song says, "Joy and pain is like sunshine and rain." I'm not ready to give up the sunshine.


So I guess this is where forgiveness enters. It is said that forgiveness benefits the "forgiver" much more that the "forgiven." It brings about healing and peace...it's a load off of our shoulders. I'm reminded of  one of my favorite quotes by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 
 "Treat a man as he is, he will remain so. Treat a man the way he can be and ought to be, and he will become as he can be and should be."
Imagine that when we forgive, we give a person the opportunity to make amends, try again, do better, be better. When we forgive, we are in effect saying, "I realize you made a mistake...I know you can do better." What a gift that is. 


My grandmother always said, "Baby, if you look for trouble, you will find it." It stands to reason, then, that if I look for good, I will find it. I've concluded that I will stick to my "naivete'," shift my consciousness, and continue to expect the best from people. Peace and Blessings, Love and Light.


No comments:

Post a Comment