Queen

Queen

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Tis the Season?

When I was a little girl, I used to wake up on Christmas morning and whisper "happy birthday Jesus," because I thought Christmas day was a celebration of Christ's birth. The night before, was at church playing Mary in the nativity play or (ridiculously) dressed in a beenie with matching scarf and gloves...in L.A., singing Christmas carols. Those are the memories that first come to mind when I think of  Christmas during my childhood. Of course I remember waking up to tons of presents and getting most of what I asked for and then some too! But as I got older (and realized my family's financial state) I didn't need so many things. Now I don't celebrate at all.

Yesterday I saw on the news how in one mall, a woman dressed like, Mrs. Claus I guess, was asking people to name all of Santa's reindeer for a coupon. Many people were able to do so. I thought to myself, 'I wonder if they can name all of the Apostles.' They then cut to scenes from a store where people were literally trampling over one another...just to get in the store...and fighting over big screen tvs. Wow, is this Christmas?


Some say the idea of gift giving during Christmas came from the Magi bringing gold, frankincense and myrrh to the baby Jesus. Seems like we should be giving gifts to Jesus since it's his day. How would Christians give gifts to Jesus in 2014?


Well, in the bible Matthew 25: 35-36 Jesus says

'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and            you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 I was naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.'
And he continues in verse 40 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

So, Jesus has told you what to get him for Christmas...help those in need....and no one NEEDS a 60" tv. If you can't manage that, why not at least focus on spending time with loved ones without worrying about spending a bunch of money on elaborate gifts AND dinner. The amount of food people buy for one meal could feed a small family for 2 weeks...why not do that for someone in need. Remember the "reason for the season."

No comments:

Post a Comment