Queen

Queen

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Do you stand for something, or fall for anything?

What's important to you? I'm not asking what you are passionate about. I don't want to know that you love making music or art or dancing. I want to know what you want to see change or happen in the world around you. If that is connected to your passion, great, tell me about it. I am curious to know what would cause you to take action, to speak up, to rally the troops. Are there issues in the world that move you enough to want to do something about them? If so, what are you doing, or what are you willing to do?

I was inspired and proud of the Egyptians, and now the Lybians for taking a stand for justice. I thought that since the Egyptians took a stand and said 'no more' that other nations would follow suit, and Lybia did. But what about the U.S.? Are we so complacent and content with the way things are in this country that we no longer feel compelled to take a stand? I say no longer because once upon a time, we protested, picketed, held sit ins against things we thought were wrong. We watched thousands march on Washington, saw Dr. King arrested a number of times, boycotted buses and restaurants, witnessed students sitting in at Universities. But now, I guess all is well in the U.S.?

I've had no success getting people to sign petitions against violence against children, or even getting a discussion started about the education system. But I've noticed a bunch of people rsvping to parties and long discussions about the Grammys. I have very intelligent and compassionate friends so this is why I ask the questions. I do allow for the possibility that it is my topics and/or the way I present them that dissuade people from at least starting a discussion. So I would like to know, what would move you to speak up?

Many, in the past have said to me 'that's not going to work' or 'it takes more than just me'. Well the Egyptians showed that it could work (even though this country has a history of proving that itself), and what about the saying that it only takes one spark to light a fire? I am not content with the status quo in this country, and so I am rubbing my two sticks together to spark a change. I hope, with this blog, to at least illicit some thoughtful conversation or some solution oriented responses. I am not Dr. King, or Malcolm X, so perhaps I don't have what it takes to motivate the masses, but one of you does. But which one of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment