Queen

Queen

Saturday, December 15, 2012

The 'Why' of It All


My heart is heavy with sadness and my head is a sea of perplexity, so of course my instinct is to write, but I can hardly find the words. We are all asking the same question…why? Why would anyone take a life, let alone 28 lives, most especially the lives of 20 tender souls and one’s own mother?

Was he sick or just evil?  I hesitate to say that the gunman can’t shoulder the entire blame, because at times like these, we need someone to blame…and it ain't us! (Is it?) But maybe we’re asking the wrong questions. Maybe we should be asking why this is happening so often these days. There are four or five mass shootings a year since 1995!

I’m sure if I did some research (I started but couldn't stomach it) I would find some correlation with the economic climate, the advent of new technology, media, or world events. But, I don’t have to do that. I already know that the consciousness of the world is out of sync. Too many people’s focus is on superficial, material, quick fix, and even destructive matter.

There is too little concern about the environment and how what we are doing to it affects our beings and not enough care about how we feed our minds, bodies, and spirits. Some may say this is ‘new aged hooey,’ but what else is different now?  If people who commit these atrocities are sick, what is making them sick? If they are evil, where is this evil coming from?

There’s always a lot of talk about gun control laws after these massacres. One thing I've seen is that people will give up their right to privacy in a second…but don’t you dare take away their right to bear arms!  Something needs to be done about the accessibility of guns in the U.S. to be sure.  But just in case that doesn't happen, shouldn't we find a way to heal these sick/evil people lest they find other means to carry out their madness?

I wonder if we were kinder, more careful, considerate, and thoughtful about the way we interact with one another, if that would make a difference. Is there something in the air, water, or FOOD, that is causing a sickness?  How harmless are certain games, movies, or song lyrics?  Are we spending enough time teaching, guiding, and loving our children? I wish I had the answers instead of more questions, but it seems that we need to start asking more questions. 

I wonder if we were more mindful of each other, paying attention to one another’s well being and caring enough to help, would we be able to see a disturbed mind or spirit before something horrific happens.  I’m having a difficult time believing that these troubled individuals showed no signs of fracturing prior to their actions. All I know is, I’d rather willingly pray for the souls of the living than be forced to pray for those of the dead. I would much prefer to cry at weddings and graduations than at vigils and funerals. 

A change is going to come for sure. Whether it is positive or negative is entirely up to us. Do good and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment