Queen

Queen

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Oneness

I had a dream last night that I was traveling the world with a companion (I know who he is, but I don't know him...yet) and as we were sitting on a mountain top watching the most amazing blood orange sunset, I decided to write in this blog about the experience. My companion quickly became curious as to if I would be including him in the blog and what would I say, and was I going to ask him first. My first reaction was that it was a blog about my experience so why would I have to ask. Then I thought a little deeper on the subject and when remembered that we are all connected and what happens to one affects all, I realized that it wasn't just my experience.
When I woke up, I knew right away that I had some amends to make. You see, a few months back, I told some people about something that another person did that affected me in a negative way. This individual really didn't want me telling what he felt was his business, but I rationalized that I only told my part of the business, that just happened to include him. I know now that I did share his business without his permission, and it did not make him look good. So, I offer up my sincerest most humble apologies for that. I can't actually say what I should have or could have done differently because I was not in the head space to let it go and stay hidden. I still don't think I am, but I do apologize to you.
That got me thinking all day about our connectedness (is that a word?) What if we were all literally physically connected? What if I broke my arm and you felt it too? What if you felt sorrow, and I cried? If we could feel everything that others felt, would we be more cautious about how we treated one another? If you knew that if you said something mean to me, you would feel hurt, unloved, and rejected too, would you still say it? If you punched someone in the nose and your nose bled, would you think twice before doing it again?
I theorize that we do feel the pain we cause others, it just may not happen immediately, and we may not realize that the pain we are feeling is a direct result of the pain we caused. We are connected, so the pain travels all through everyone in the universe until it comes right back to it's origin. Sometimes it's slower coming back around, sometimes it's faster. "What goes around comes around," my grandmother used to say, and "you have to reap what you sow."
You ever have one of those days where you wake up in a bad mood? Or maybe you are so happy one day and you can't really explained what caused it. And those phantom pains we attribute to old age, maybe that's really just the emotions and physical pain of our fellow beings making its way through the universe on it's way back to it's origin.
Perhaps if we took more care with one another, and thought about the joy, pain, elation, sorrow and so forth that travels around the universe through every human, animal, plant, and so forth, we would in turn feel less pain, and more joy. Yes, we are all connected, one giant living organism, bigger than the Great Barrier Reef. Let's take care of ourselves/each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment