Queen

Queen

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

“The two most powerful warriors are patience and time.”~Tolstoy

Someone I once knew used to say, "they'd better learn to be patient before they become a patient," meaning if they didn't learn how to be patient, their blood pressure would get too high, or they'd go crazy. Patience is not an easy thing to learn, but it is one of those lessons that once you learn it, has great benefits. Lately, I've been getting another round of these lessons and I'm fine tuning the art of patience. Yes, it is an art, and it doesn't look like what most people think it does.

For instance, patience isn't waiting in line at the grocery store tapping your foot, checking your watch, and sighing, while the checker chats up the customer in front of you. It isn't worrying and complaining that you haven't found a job yet. Patience is connected to faith. Yes, there's that word again. In order to truly be patient, I've learned, one must have faith that you've done all you can do in the situation, the Higher Power/universe/great spirit/collective energy is doing their part, and that everything that is happening is happening the way it is for a reason. It is the reason that we must focus on. The reason is the lesson, and once we learn the lesson, we can sit peacefully and wait.

Yesterday I spent a total of 2 hours waiting for buses in ccccold weather. (They say it was 57 and felt like 57, but this southern Cali girl felt 47 degrees). I had no control over the bus schedule, as infrequent as it seemed. I had no control over the weather. All I had control over was my reaction to the situation. As I sat on the bench shivering, I began to ponder the lessons. This was my Father the Mighty King giving me lessons in responsibility, in being grateful for what you have when you have it, in understanding others' situations, and in humility. How lazy and out of shape I had gotten driving across the street to the store in my old neighborhood. The laundromat was even across the street there. How many times did I avoid a person so they wouldn't ask me for a ride?  I look back and I see how and what I could have done better. I complained about that old car, now it's gone and I miss it.

Patience is more than a waiting game. It's also about being diligent in your efforts to change yourself, your situation, or the world. I think that's why so many people become complacent with life. It's not that they're lazy so much as they lack the patience to meticulously do one thing or take one step at a time. We are a society with a short attention span, a community of 30 minute meals, quick downloads, 27 minute sitcoms, and cross country red eyes. I just told someone the other day that the 400 mile drive from here to L.A. was nothing. A lot of people complain about it, and on the road, there are always those who have to get there at least one car length sooner. People used to travel this country by stagecoach and horses, and sometimes by foot! I'm not complaining about a 6 hour drive in a comfy car with music, and restaurants along the way

Sitting on the cold bus stop watching cars and people go by I said a prayer, took a deep breath and relaxed into the moment. I made a point to look at my surroundings and the people around me. I wanted to see people, feel the damp air, and live in that moment because my Father the Mighty King put me there, and for a reason. I listened to some positive music that was telling me that the struggle is temporary, and necessary. I  mentally made a list of what I had done to improve my situation, because I know if I do my 1/3, my Father the Mighty King will do the rest. So my lesson in patience has thus far revealed this: It's easier to wait on the Lord than to wait on the bus, but then again, waiting on the bus is waiting on the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment