Queen

Queen

Thursday, December 30, 2010

We are family


People say you can't choose your family, well I disagree to a certain extent. Family is who and what you make it. Love, honor, respect, and loyalty makes family. We are all brothers and sisters on this rock anyway. There is a big difference between relatives and family. Relatives share a bloodline, DNA, chromosomes. Family shares bonds, memories, heritage, joys, pains, meals, milestones, love. Yes, relatives can also be family and vice versa. I read once that family is a haven in a heartless world. I have found havens outside of my gene pool. It's all in who you gather to your heart.


There have been many people whom I have gathered to my heart, yet they chose not to stay. I would not say they are family because that is where the loyalty comes in. Family sticks by you through your ups and downs, they may judge you, let's not bs that issue, but they won't hold it against you, at least not for long. Family sees the divine in you even when you don't see it in yourself and they treat you accordingly. There have also been many who I have gathered to my heart who have chosen to stay and I give thanks for them.


There is my sister who is love, she gives freely of her heart, prays for others, and spreads joy. Her husband is my brother who shares wisdom, lives a life of integrity, has a warm mild demeanor, and is a great father to his beautiful daughter, my niece. She is just love and joy wrapped in a smile. I have another sister who lends an ear for my venting or sorrows, and gives encouragement. She feeds everyone and offers her home as a safe haven for many. I have a sister I've known since my youth who keeps in touch in her own way, never going too long without contact. She always invites me to spend time with her family (my family) and holds my mom as dear as her own. Then there is my brother whom I would never have thought would be so at one point. We had some differences that threatened to separate us forever, but my Father the Mighty King is also his Father and that kept us together long enough to build a bond of brotherly and sisterly love that can never be broken. I could go on and on, but these are just a few who touch my heart.


I have felt a feeling of family for others who didn't feel the same, but I know my Father the Mighty King intended for me to keep them close to my heart, so although they move farther away from me, I will stay close in spirit with them. Groundation sang, "wondering why they couldn't love them who loved them," ("Smile") and I often wonder that about some of the people I have gathered in my heart. Some share DNA with me, but I'll love them still. Desmond Tutu  said, "You don't choose your family.  They are God's gift to you, as you are to them." Now I agree with that, and I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment