Queen

Queen

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Going With My Gut

I was reading an article on instinct, reason, and intuition from a theosophy perspective (Theosophy-Religious philosophy or speculation about the nature of the soul based on mystical insight into the nature of God.- yes, I'm a bit of a nerd). It described instinct as "the facility acquired by life-forms through repeated experiences gained through transmigrations, in their respective kingdoms" while reason is "faculty of the lower mind and its instrument, the physical brain...always tinged with desire, and is limited to the physical senses...it is therefore liable to err" and finally intuition "is the direct cognition of truth in all things. It is the highest spiritual faculty in man but lies dormant as long as man remains in bondage to the senses and the mind." My conclusion of the relationship of the three is this: instinct is what we have learned from past experiences, intuition is what we know in our gut, and reason sometimes gets in the way of both.

In the recent past, I have made some decisions based on intuition. I ignored my instinct to stay with what I knew, and I had no experience to show I was moving in the right direction. I'm still waiting to see if I've made the right decisions on some things. I truly believe in the spiritual aspect of intuition because it is often much stronger than my instincts or reason. I have, however, ignored my intuition reasoning in such a way to keep my comfort level on track. That's a fancy way of saying "out of fear." I realized later that I missed out on some great opportunities as well as needlessly endured unpleasant situations, all because I ignored my intuition. The thing that bothers me most is that when I made these decisions, I had a very strong feeling that I shouldn't or should do it. The phrases "go with your gut" and "follow your first mind" keep ringing in my head like giant church bells.

The odd thing about reason is that it is supposed to be rational, logical. But I see now that reason can often be a way we talk ourselves into or out of something depending on what we desire. Intuition is the important faculty. People talk about a woman's intuition as though a man doesn't have it. I don't know if a woman's intuition is stronger than a man's, but I do know that mine is very strong so I have to stop ignoring it. When you ignore your intuition, you start to question whether or not you are capable of making the best decisions for yourself, at least I do. Other people also get into your head with their own reasoning because they are suspect of spiritual matters. When we listen to their reasoning, we're ignoring the gift given to us by the Creator, or universe, or whatever higher power to which one ascribes.

So what brought this on is I ignored my intuition again and missed out on an opportunity I have been waiting for.  I won't let this experience cause me to question my judgement. Instead, it has reinforced my belief that my intuition on certain things are correct. I think intuition is the light on a path to our blessings, and although I don't think we can miss our blessings, only postpone or destroy them,  it is my intention to follow my spirit from now on. I suggest you do the same. Love and Light.





No comments:

Post a Comment