Queen

Queen

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Come Together


There are so many ways and reasons we separate ourselves from one another it's quite sad, tragic even. We use race, ethnicity, religion, age, income, education, height, weight, looks, celebrity, power, status even geographical location as reasons to separate ourselves. There is enough that is unique about all of us to make us special so we don't need to divide ourselves into categories. We are ONE. I hear enough people talking about recognizing our oneness, but I see very few of them actually behaving as though they believe it. Rapper Chubb Rock once had a song called "Treat 'Em Right" where he said, "sign an autograph you might make a new friend." He was talking about artists/celebrities giving time and respect to their fans who made them popular, but I think this could apply to everyone. Signing an autograph = giving people a chance to show you how great they are because you might make a new friend.
All of those things I listed above that we use as reasons to separate are just parts of a person's story, and some of it may not even be accurate. There could be a lifelong connection that you would cherish with that person you've chosen to ignore, exclude, and judge. I see it, and experience it far too often. No one knows the capacity of a person's heart and mind until one takes the time to find out. I've been judged in one glance. They see a woman of African decent with dreadlocks dressed humbly, rate my looks and guess at my age and already they have a profile of me. Most of the time people are wrong. I've dated men that people couldn't see why I was attracted to them (mostly because they thought they knew my "type") I told them to talk to them, you'll see what I see. On these social sites, "celebrities" never respond to their adoring fans who buy their music or see their movies or read their books. I've worked around "celebrities" before, they're just people. CEOs and other wealthy or so called powerful people put themselves on pedestals to separate themselves from "regular" people. Bob Marley once sang "The biggest man  you ever did see was just a baby."

We miss out on a lot when we divide ourselves. Challenges and struggles could be easier, there could be more joy, compassion, and understanding. But we build these walls out of fear. What is it that we fear? Rejection? Heartache? Maybe we just fear having to be kind because that's too much work and takes too much time. Separation causes isolation and alienation which leads to loneliness and despair. Isn't there enough in this world causing that without adding to it?  It's time we come together and get through life together as ONE in deed and not just in words. "So pull out your pen, sign an autograph you might make a new friend." ~Chubb Rock.  LOVE and Light


No comments:

Post a Comment