Queen

Queen

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Great Love, Great Adventure, Great Deeds

Once in an interview I was asked how I would define success. I would think I was successful if I was happy and helped others, but I didn't answer that way.  Instead, I rattled off what I thought was relevant to the position and left it at that. But I began to ruminate on that question. I have never measured success in dollars, status, or material goods. I always felt I would be successful if I had people in my life who loved me and if I was a good person who did her best to help others. So I wondered, have I achieved my definition of success? If not, what was missing?

After surveying my life and much introspection, I realized I still had things to do. I found that what was missing was 1) Great Love 2) Great Adventure and 3) Great deeds. In other words, I haven't lived my best life yet. Life, as they say, is short. I've seen so many leave this planet at such a young age and I always wonder if they lived their lives to the fullest. Daily I look into so many forlorn and exasperated faces as they work or drive to work, or speed away from work. Some of them have expensive cars that they drive to big houses. Their children are well dressed in famous labels and they communicate to each other on the latest ever changing gadgets. But their expressions and demeanor are not the same as the people in the commercials who tell them they have to live these lives. They've been bamboozled into thinking that this is what happiness is and if they want it, they'd better tow the line. Been there, done that, over it.

I would like to travel the world, and the country, even the state. I, however, want a unique experience. I don't want to book a hotel at a tourist resort and go on scheduled tours (unless, of course, the company was interesting). I had a fantasy of paragliding over the ocean the other day. Really? I thought. Why not. There are so many ways I can help others that I don't even know them all yet. So part of my great adventure is doing something great for at least one other. I would like to experience great love. I would like for it to be of the "romantic" variety, but great love is great love, and it will feel great no matter how it shows up. I'm not going to bother the universe or my Father the Mighty King with the details because they have given me things beyond my wildest dreams, so I'll leave it to them.

I'm not striving to get a Benz, wear the most expensive fancy clothes, or have the big house. We can't take any of the things we work so hard to attain with us when we leave here. So if I find, in my last days, that I have no money or things to leave loved ones in a will, I'll ask myself, 'Have I left great memories and impressions on those I've touched, and am I taking with me a fulfilled and joyful spirit into the next adventure?' If I can answer yes, I think I would have had a successful life. Love and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment