Queen

Queen

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Music is the Healing of the Nation/World

So I've been itching to blog about music again for a while. Maybe I should start a new blog just about music. It's extremely rare that I go a day without music; it's like breathing for me. I listen to all kinds of music and I love hearing new music. I am, however, very careful of the music I choose to listen to because I am aware of the power music has. In the past, I loved any song with a good beat, especially if it had good bass and I could dance to it. As I grew, I began to listen to the lyrics more closely and as a result, a lot of music has been eliminated from my listening experience. Although I wasn't paying much attention to the lyrics before, they were penetrating my subconscious and they didn't always have a positive effect on how I viewed myself or the world. Songs with misogynistic, depressing, or destructive lyrics can have a negative affect on one's consciousness just as easily as uplifting positive songs can have a positive one.

I am puzzled and a bit dismayed that music with socially, culturally, spiritually conscious and uplifting lyrics aren't more 'popular' in the U.S. I see young girls, and by young I mean starting at age 4, who dress and dance provacatively, they sing lyrics and use words that they don't understand, and take pride in allowing young boys to disrespect them and call them bitches and hoes. Once I heard a five year old girl tell a five year old boy, "I'm a bad bitch with the ill na na." She doesn't know what it means now, but she will, and that's how she will define herself unless she's guided in a different direction. Our children, and their parents are obsessed with "swag" "ballin" "bling" and chasing the American nightmare, while at the same time big corporations, banks, and government are making it harder and harder for them to reach financial wellness. But these albums that perpetuate meaningless pursuits are still going platnum. Meanwhile, music that gives hope and strength doesn't even get played on the radio.

Just today I read a post on a social network where one of my friends described an upsetting situation she experienced. She went on to say that when she got into the car, an uplifting song came on and she was better. This is clear cut evidence of the power of music. Those of you who have read my blog before have heard me speak, often, of my favorite group Groundation. They play roots reggae music fused with jazz and many other influences. I've read so many comments to the group and lead singer Harrison Stafford about how Groundation's music has changed people's lives, saved them even. If you ever go to one of their concerts, you'd think you were at a peace and love summit. I'm not sure if their music attracts peaceful loving people or creates them. Actually, I am sure it is both. The group is very popular in France, Belgium, South America, all over the world in fact.  But here, in the U.S., the demand for music that is positive, enlightening, and that promotes unity and equality has been virtually non existent for sometime.


As the world is on the precipice of big change, a shift if you will, I think it's time to have a collective shift in consciousness. We can start by moving away from the hollow, oppressive, and banal music that fuels the destructive and stagnant behaviors that the entire world seems to now be fighting against, to positive, hopeful, constructive music that creates the energy needed to counterbalance the darkness. I am of the belief that music can and will facilitate positive change. If you have the opportunity to experience positive music, especially live, take a chance and do it. Groundation will be touring in California in February 2012. You can find their schedule here http://www.groundation.com/live . You will be glad you did. I'll be posting more on music soon. I welcome guest bloggers, especially musicians. Please make your submissions to impressashaki@gmail.com. I will also gladly post any videos or links to positive music. Love, light, and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment