Queen

Queen

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Groundation: The Prequal

I'm getting excited as my "reunion" with Groundation (my favorite roots reggae band...if you didn't know) is coming up in seven days. I know I've mentioned them a lot in my blogs, but it's because their music has had a profound effect on my life. I can't really say that about many artists' music. I will say that their music's effect  on me was akin to Bob Marley's.

Groundation fell into my lap out of nowhere. I had only heard one song, "Groundation Chant," on my Bob Marley station on Pandora.  The first thing that got my attention was the one two beat of the drum that I've heard so often at Nyahbinghi* gatherings. Then I heard the words "Please believe me when I say, there will come a day when everyone shall see unification." Now, I tell you, at this particular point in my life, I felt like everyone around me was bent on separating and distancing themselves from one another, so they had me at "unification." This is conscious music that uplifts...a rare commodity these days.

A few months later, I saw them for the first time at the Raggamuffin Festival, which is a Bob Marley celebration in the Los Angeles area. I admit, I was a little skeptical at first because I had only heard the one song, and not everyone can do Bob Marley justice. Those of you who are Bob Marley fans know that there is nothing worse than someone destroying one of his songs. Nevertheless, I was front and center ready to give them a chance. I was encouraged (and impressed) when I saw Leroy "Horsemouth" Wallace sitting on drums. Mr. Wallace has played with many of the great reggae artists and was in the movie "Rockers."

Mr. Wallace boosted my confidence in the group, but they still had to play Bob's music. I was surprised (and relieved) at the musicianship of the band. The music was as tight and clean as a recording. Harrison Stafford delivered the tunes in his own personal style without muddying up the original sound. You see, that's where many artists go wrong when singing Bob Marley's songs. They want to put so much of their own personal touch that the songs don't sound the same...or the musicians just don't play very well. The only disappointment of the performance was that it was too short. It was, however, a festival with other artists still to perform including Bob Marley's son Stephen.
It will be a treat to be able to hear Groundation perform more of The Legend's songs, and some of their own, including songs from their album to be released in March. I love being able to chill with this great group of people...but the music is the thing. It's like I'm plugging myself in and I'm fully charged and renewed when I leave. I'm going to try to blog after each show. Perhaps Mr. Stafford will even bless me with a short interview? (Are you reading this Harrison? Someone forward this to him please) If you're in northern or southern California, I hope you decide to see a show so you can experience what I'm trying to express. You can see the schedule here. For those of you wondering, no, I don't work for them...yet. ;) winking More to come...Love, light, and
music.
















*A Rastafari spiritual gathering with drumming and chanting

No comments:

Post a Comment