Queen

Queen

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spirit

I have carefully avoided going into depth about spirituality so as not to be received as off putting to those for whom spirituality is without value. But as a queen I am compelled, duty bound, to be authentic and to encourage others to participate in those things which would be of benefit to them. What I know is that everyone has a spirit that needs  to be acknowledged, honored, and nourished. Matters of the spirit are what propel us to increased joy, love, and success, as well as send us spiraling down into the pits of depression, loneliness, and destitution. So in fulfillment of my royal duties, I am writing today about spirituality and the spirit.


There are many definitions of spirit and spirituality. I say that the spirit is what makes you who you are. The body is a shell. It's looks are dictated by genetics. But the spirit is who you are at the core. It's look is dictated by the care you give it, the work you put into it. Just like the body, it needs to be fed and exercised to stay healthy and fit. So how does one do that? By honoring yourself and the world. Remember, we are all connected so your spirit needs to be healthy in order for everyone else's to be healthy and vice versa. Take time out to meditate, chant, pray. Treat yourself to whatever relaxes you, in a healthy way, and enables you to hear that voice within and the voice of the universe. Allow yourself to feel the connection between yourself and others, nature, the earth, animals, the wind. Read spiritual texts for guidance or to stimulate spiritual thought. 

Spirituality is acknowledging that you are not alone in the world. You are part of something bigger and you have an important part to play.Regardless of what you have faith in, there is always a higher power than yourself and He/She/It needs attention and honor too. Whether it is God, Allah, Jah, Buddha, the Ogun, the Great Spirit, the universe, the earth, collective energy, whatever you choose to name this higher power, honor and acknowledgement bring great rewards. Prayer works for me, as well as meditation, although I am better at one than the other. When I give my Father the Mighty King the proper attention and honor, He rewards me, always. The greatest reward is always peace and the knowledge that I am not alone. My spirit loves conscious music, dancing, writing, and cooking. I give thanks and praises daily for life, shelter, food, clothing, safety, human contact, the sun, the rain, flowers, birds, etc. There is much for which to be thankful, and many ways to show gratitude. I try not to do anything that is harmful to others or the earth and all its life. What you give, you will receive ten fold is something I believe in, so I try to make sure I only give good things. Am I always successful at it? No, but I do try.

I've gotten in such a habit of feeding my spirit that my body craves it. Sometimes when I'm feeling run down, overwhelmed, stressed, pulled in too many directions, my body only responds to quiet meditation and reading spiritual texts. It's my spirit screaming for food. The mind, body, spirit connection is real, and powerful. If one is not healthy, the other two won't be either. If you take a day at the spa, eat a healthy meal, drink lots of water, and meditate, or listen to calming music. It will enhance the whole spa experience.

There are many ways to care for your spirit, but the first step is to acknowledge it and give thanks. You are more than skin, flesh, bones, and hair and you need to take care of the whole YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment