Queen

Queen

Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Power of Music

Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman. ~Ludwig Van Beethoven~
I have written about music before, and I'm sure I will a few more times. I have always been struck by the power of music. Music can evoke emotion, stimulate creativity, and it has even been proven to enhance intellect and memory. I recently read a story about when Albert Einstein was a young child, he did very poorly in school. He did so poorly, in fact, his teachers told his parents to take him out of school because he was "too stupid to learn." They suggested his parents get him an easy manual labor job as soon as they could. But Albert's mother didn't think he was stupid, so instead, she bought him a violin. He became very good at it and it was the key to him becoming one of the smartest men who ever lived. Einstein himself attributes playing the violin to his intelligence* In fact, many studies  have found that children who study music, either by learning an instrument or songs or listening to it fair better in mathematics, spacial temporal reasoning, and retention.** 

I've often told people who wonder how I know music that was made before my time that music is like history, it never goes away. But music is history. It marks the time, the social, economic, and political trends and happenings of the period. Music from the Harlem Renaissance depicted the discontent of African Americans of that time. Songs like Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit" lamented the horrors of lynchings that were prevailing during this period. Bob Dylan's "Blowin in the Wind" , written in 1963 spoke of issues from war to slavery. Edwin Starr had a song called "War" protesting the Vietnam War, Marvin Gaye spoke of war, poverty, racism, drug abuse and more in "What's Goin On." These are just a few examples of music reflecting the sign of the times. I cringe at the thought of what some of today's music will say about our times.

Artists like Bob Marley, Public Enemy, and KRS One, sang songs that uplifted and empowered people: "Get up stand up, stand up for your rights," "Fight the powers that be," "You must learn,"  Songs today are about bling, violence, disrespecting women, taking some one's man, or being the baddest chick. Love songs used to be about love: "I wanna love ya, and treat you right, I wanna love ya, everyday and every night," "I've got sunshine on a cloudy day, when it's cold outside, I've got the month of May. I guess you say, what can make me feel this way, my girl"*** and women had self respect: "R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to me."**** I know I sound like an old lady to some of you youth, but I want you to think about this. Music is one of if not the most powerful medium we have at our fingertips. If you know you can use your talents to effect change in the hearts, minds, and spirits of man in a way that would improve the world, wouldn't you want to do it? I mean, wouldn't you want your music to make life better for people other than yourself too? Music has that power.

Don't get me wrong, there are musicians today who are making powerful music. GROUNDATION of course creates conscious roots reggae with Harrison "The Professor" Stafford at the helm, SA-ROC is spittin conscious rap that is out of this world, and conscious rapper PARIS is following in Public Enemy's footsteps. ALOE BLACC has brought love back into love songs, BLUE KING BROWN has created her own genre of reggae, rock, hip hop fusion with thought provoking uplifting lyrics. There are many more artists who are considered "underground" because they can't get any mainstream airtime, which means their music must be powerful. I hope you have a listen to these artists, and share with me others who you know that are using the power of music for the good of society. If you are a musician in the struggle, on the rise, or in the top 40, please be aware of the power you have been given along with your talent. Your music will not only shape the perceptions of young minds, it will also tell the story of these times. Make us look good. Love and light.

 




 








*http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n15/mente/musica.html
**http://www.musicandthebrain.org/research.htm
***The Temptations
****Aretha Franklin


No comments:

Post a Comment