Queen

Queen

Monday, August 22, 2011

The Time of My Life: My Mini Groudation Tour Part II

The Shows
Let me introduce you to the band. There's Kelsey Howard on trombone. He's quiet and unassuming, until he blasts you with his jazzy addition to the roots reggae sound. He and David Chachere (on trumpet) add a unique sound, a fullness to Groundation's music that is rarely found in reggae, especially roots reggae today. Few groups these days use a full live band, let alone one with horns. I like to say they are the Earth, Wind, and Fire of reggae. When you see them blowing, particularly on solos, you find yourself praying a vein doesn't burst in their heads or necks. Te Kanawa Haereiti keeps the rhythm on drums. Sitting in the back, one might forget about him, but don't underestimate his importance. He listens to the sound of the band and holds them together like the heart pumping blood through the veins.   Most importantly, he remembered my name after meeting him once! Impressive (I know, again, it was only a day later). Ryan Newman plays a soulful bass. There's something about the bass that music just can't seem to do without. It's sultry and Ryan makes it speak like Barry White or Isaac Hayes serenading the ladies. Marcus Urani sets fire to the keyboards. The piano is my favorite instrument, and then the drums. I've always wanted to learn to play. When Marcus plays, it seems like a crime, almost sinister. The look on his face and the sound he creates is like he's channeled Thelonious Monk, Fats Waller, and even Mozart! I half expect the keyboards to catch fire. I asked him to teach me to play when he retires, but it was really just a way to compliment him. Please don't ever retire Marcus.


Mingo Lewis Jr., or Mingo Star as I have decided to call him, son of Carlos Santana's percussionist Mingo Lewis, is Groundation's percussionist. He plays with such power, it's as if he was calling Queen Nyahbingi herself*. In fact, the smile on his face is as if he knows something we don't. Perhaps it's the joy of playing great music well, or maybe he does call the Queen's spirit. Whatever it is, he's filling the audience with that same spirit. Kim Pommell and Kerry Ann Morgan have the angelic voices bringing soulful feminine vibration to this roots gathering. The ladies accent Harrison's decidedly masculine voice perfectly, and their moves, well they aren't Motown choreographed doo wap moves. They are free, spirited, tribal, and rhythmic.

Finally, and with great trepidation that I won't do him justice, I introduce you to Harrison Stafford, the lead singer and driving force behind the band. He is slight and unassuming in appearance, much like His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I, but make no mistake, much like His Majesty, this man possesses power and strength in his character, conviction, devotion to music, Rastafari, and humanity, and most especially his musical abilities. He writes all of the lyrics and with complete trust and faith in his band they compose and play the music together as though they were one. He, much like the rest of the group, seems to become possessed with the spirits of a million rastamen, Juden, sufferers, and Jah. It's no wonder he stays slim because the energy he expels on stage can fill a stadium. He'll give thanks to the audience for giving him the energy, but it really comes from him. His lyrics are conscious, thoughtful, poetic, resounding, and powerful. Hmmm, I'm a little in love with him. Actually, I'm a little in love with the whole band. He performs as though he gets paid by how well he does. They of course don't get paid nearly enough, but that's another blog. Offstage, he is kind, friendly, and giving to all of his fans. That's the best part of this experience; learning that the group I admire onstage, is just and wonderful off stage.

I fancy myself a writer, but these small words could hardly do Groundation or my experience justice. The only way to know what I feeling is to see them live yourself. If they are touring within at least 400 miles of you, I suggest that you make the trip to see them. It will be well worth the journey. I blogged recently on the power of music and I know now that I didn't even come close to expressing how powerful it is. No one leaves a Groundation concert without wanting to be, without being a better person. I will be giving thanks to the Most High for years to come for the gift of Groundation and Harrison Stafford, and Hossein Attar (my new brother) to me and the world. Love, Light, and Music.

http://www.groundation.com/live  Coming to a city near you!



*In Rastafari, Nyahbingi is the mystical power of the Most High to mete justice throughout the universe. Although the genuine origin of the word that means “she possesses many things” is Ugandan, as a concept and theology, Nyahbingi has come down to the Rastaman to signify “death to the oppressors, both black and white”. Therefore, it is through prayer, music and biblical reasonings that the Rastaman chants bingi, calling on the forces of nature to destroy the powers of wickedness. (named for African warrior Queen Nyahbingi)





No comments:

Post a Comment