Queen

Queen

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Family

I was going to stop this blog, but there were a couple of loyal readers who asked me not to, so this is for you, even if no one else reads. Today I'm rambling about family. No matter how much they can aggravate us, in the end, family loves us. Yesterday I was lamenting over not having any friends with whom I could hang out, knowing they truly enjoyed my company. Today, family was in town and was not only excited, but anxious to see me. Even the new people I met enjoyed engaging me in conversation. This made me remember something I had read before, "everyone is not going to like you, it's not their job to like you."  So although I still wonder why some people to whom I've never done one bad thing, still don't like me, I can accept that fact and move forward.

Shared experiences, memories, and love is what makes people family. DNA helps, but isn't necessary. We are all family in the greater universal sense of the word, but  for me, there are certain experiences that can make anyone family to me. If I can be myself around you without fear of judgement, you have become family to me. If I can tell you about yourself, with love, and you harbor no grudges and we carry on without animosity, you are my family. If you are sincerely happy for my happiness, you are family.  That's not easy to find, even when you share DNA. But I've found it in my family, and some of those members are not biologically related.

I often want to do away with the whole "friend" title. It either says too little or too much about the people to whom I'm referring. Some are family, others are acquaintances, while still others are frenemies (say they're your friend but act like your enemy). Those who know me often hear me referring to people as my "sistren" or "bredren". I prefer that. My family has always had many extensions. It was my grandmother's influence. No one ever went without a roof or full belly if my grandmother knew they were in need. The beautiful thing is that no one ever took advantage of her, or took her for granted. It feels good to be a part of a family, even if you are not related.

I give thanks to my Father the Mighty King, for putting people in my life who genuinely love and care about me. It is good when people make time in their schedules for you, it is even better when they don't have to check their schedules to do it. That is what family does. They miss you when you're gone, celebrate when you're happy, and cry when you cry. I love my family, even the ones who don't read my blog (smile).

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE having you as my sister! Wish we could hang out more! Ironic, isn't it, now that you live closer. But still not as easy as we guessed it might be. XOXO Glad you're still blogging! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support siSTAR! Our time will come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE love you Sis! You write so clear, I wish I could. I give thanks for having you in my family. Tribe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you too! Give thanks for the strength. You can write, just do it from the heart. More love, More life family!

    ReplyDelete