Queen

Queen

Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Sad Commentary on Humanity

It has taken me a few days to sit and write this as I really wanted to reflect on what has transpired over the past few days and the emotions connected to the acts. It is not my intention to cast aspersions or belittle any one's suffering. In fact, I hope to honor lost lives and their memories and elevate souls. I am still not sure I am ready to write this, or if you are ready to read it, but there's no time like the present.

A few days ago, an announcement was made that the most wanted man, by this country, was killed. I understand the emotion behind the reaction. Many people lost loved ones in the September 11, 2001 tragedies for which this man was accused of and allegedly admitted to perpetrating, not to mention the enormous destruction and bloodshed was the largest this country had seen on it's own soil since the Civil War. Yes, I am aware of the emotional damage and sense of loss of security felt around the nation. A trauma such as that leads to a natural desire for vengeance and reciprocity, which this country has been engaged in for the last ten years. I get it. What I do not get is the reaction to the news that this man was killed. Crowds took to the streets dancing, chanting USA, stomping on his picture, and celebrating as if their team had won the championship. They even played "We are the Champions!" This was the reaction to a human life being taken. I felt sick and disappointed in my fellow humans. What went on was the basest of human behavior.

Christianity is the largest faith in this country, yet it's principles seemed to have been forgotten recently. The bible says "Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice, or the Lord will see and disapprove and turn his wrath away from them." (Proverbs 24:17-18) When Jesus was crucified, crowds jeered and cheered and cast lots for his belongings.  He may have been a savior to the Christians, but as far as the people at that time were concerned, he was a blasphemous enemy. The two scenes, back then and the other day, seem eerily similar.

I would think this is a time for sober reflection. "Justice has been done," the president and everyone was saying. Has it? Did killing this man bring your loved ones back? Hundreds of people were killed on that day. To say justice has been done makes that one man's life as valuable as the hundreds lost. People were claiming it was an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Well that kind of thinking only means the blind and toothless are leading the blind and toothless. And where does it stop? They got us, we got them, they get us again. International gang banging is all it is. Don't knock the boys in the hood fighting over their turf, they got their example from the best. Meanwhile, Americans have now tasted blood and they're thirsty for more. Word of his death was not enough. You want to see gruesome photos and video. Is this what we want to teach future generations?

I admit that I, fortunately, did not personally lose anyone in the 9/11 tragedies, but I have tried to imagine what it would be like to lose someone I love via the hands of another. Yes, I would want vengeance, and may even seek it on my own. But if I succeeded, the knowledge that I took a life would be on my conscience and stain my soul for eternity. It certainly wouldn't be enough justice for me. Every holiday or special occasion would still be marked with the sadness of their absence. I would still wonder about the life they could have led were they still here. So I keep my faith that a higher power will enact the right justice on wicked individuals. It may not be enough for you, but it keeps my hands and soul clean.
I entreat you to put your mind on your loved ones. Pray or send positive energy to the universe that no more lives are taken, anywhere. This vengeful mindset only leads to more violence and bloodshed, and innocent people are bound to be affected. "Do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.  Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil. For those who are evil will be destroyed, but those who hope in the LORD will inherit the land." (Psalm 37:7-9) Over 47,000 of your loved ones have been killed or injured in this quest for vengeance and "justice." Where is the justice in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment