Queen

Queen

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Food: Rx for Health

As I'm fasting today for World Food Day, I reflect on my relationship with food, both past and present. Being raised in a household with a southern (U.S.) grandmother and mother, there was no shortage of tasty food for my pallet. But what is good to you is not always good for you. My mother always told me to clean my plate because there are "children starving in Africa." To my dismay, this is still the case. This thought taught me not to waste food, unfortunately, it also taught me to eat too much. Food was my best friend. She comforted me, celebrated with me, brought me closer to people, and helped me fill a void. But I took advantage of food, I took her for granted. I thought I could manipulate her by consuming as much of her as I want in any form and she would always be my friend. Then one day, she turned on me. She gave me gallstones and started me on a journey that would change my life.

People don't realize that food has been rebelling against us for  mistreating her for years. The things we do to food is reprehensible. We add chemicals and additives, we abuse animals farmed as food, we prepare food in unhealthy ways, we serve it, at least in America, in gluttonous portions, we abuse food. She began rebelling, much like people in America and the world recently have: occupation. We aren't even aware that food is occupying our bodies and refusing to leave. Even as our scales begin to tip and our waistlines grow wider, we are unaware that food is waging a rebellion. Because we haven't listened to her, she has gone to the next level: causing disease. In this country diabetes, especially childhood diabetes rates are way up. Heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cancer, are all diseases that can be linked to the amount of or types of food we eat. Yes, food is livid, and we'd better start listening to her demands.

Four years ago, after I had my gallbladder removed, I began to make amends with food. I wanted to repair our relationship because I need her. I became vegan and started using organic foods as much as possible and I looked to food for healing. I only use medications when absolutely unavoidable because now that food and I are besties again, she let me in on a little secret: she's a healer! I already knew that in her natural state she could provide me with all the vitamins, minerals and vital nutrients I need to stay healthy. But she also has healing powers. When I got pneumonia, tea made with thyme was the only thing to help me breath. Ginger helps me with digestion, onions relieve nasal congestion, and garlic is a natural antibiotic. There are many fruits, vegetables and herbs that are not only healing, but also prevent disease. I have included links to sites that show you which foods are good for what ailment or disease.

A year ago, three years after I had my gallbladder removed, I awakened one morning to a familiar pain in my abdomen. I had no gallbladder, so it couldn't be another gallstone attack, but it certainly felt like it! In the emergency room, they were sure it was an ulcer. I wasn't convinced, so I went to see my doctor who scheduled me for an endoscopy. I asked the nurse if she could find a natural remedy for my pain so she went on the Internet and saw a doctor had recommended cabbage juice for his ulcer patients. I had a juicer so I was ready to try it. Sure enough, an ounce of cabbage juice eliminated my pain immediately. For a week I only drank cabbage juice and fruit smoothies because I felt like food was stacking up in my stomach. Oh no, I thought, food is turning on me again. What had I done to her this time? Turns out, it was a wayward gallstone that had blocked my bile duct. Ok ok, food, I learned my lesson the first time!

I've learned to respect food. I no longer live to eat, I eat to live. I let food do her job. I make sure she is organic, healthily prepared, and I only have her in moderation. She, in turn, gives me vital nutrients, energy, a strong mind, and pleasure. Instead of avoiding her or manipulating how I eat her, I eat healthy meals and snacks and she helps me lose weight and stay healthy. When I am sick, I go to Dr. Food first. I am grateful for the relationship I have with food now. I wish everyone could have the same relationship. Food is our friend, a friend we can't live without. If we treat her right, she will treat us right. Listen to her demands. Love and light, and good eating.

http://www.juicing-for-health.com/healing-foods.html

http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/foodsthatheal.html

http://www.healingfoodreference.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment