Queen

Queen

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Groundation + Bob Marley=Healing

Friday night, I found that my bruised ego was still tender from the sting of rejection and betrayal. It really needs to be amputated. Maybe it will get gangrene and fall off. At any rate, I was very much in need of healing and I knew Groundation would be the best salve.  I had a feeling this show would be particularly hot because it was in their "hometown," if you will, Petaluma, CA near Sonoma State University where it all started.

I could feel the energy from the crowd long before the group went on stage at the Mystic Theatre. I felt a restlessness building inside of me signaling that my body needed to move. For some reason, my emotions were resting on my skin ready to cry, laugh, scream, or dance. I was particularly sensitive to the vibes around me...and anxious for some music. I suspect I wasn't the only one...as the crowd grew, so did the energy.

At the front of the stage at a concert, especially a Groundation concert, is the one place I feel completely free. This particular scenario is like church for me. If you've ever seen people in southern baptist churches "catch the holy spirit," then you know what I'm feeling when Harrison Stafford starts to wail, or when Marcus Urani  is pounding the keyboards looking as if he's whispering incantations to evoke Hathor (the Egyptian goddess of love, music, and dancing).

I love to dance because it makes me feel free. When I hear good music, my body wants to move. When I hear great music, my body and spirit fly. I'm not sure if I look cute or crazy when I'm dancing at a concert, but my ego is powerless in that situation and I just don't care. These musicians are playing, singing, and dancing their hearts out...I'm going to show appreciation and join them.

The intensity of the solos and all of the energy from the crowd and the band was almost too much for me. Trumpet player David Chachere made "Rat Race" sultry and emotive during his jazzy solo. Perhaps it was my sensitive state, but when Mr. Chachere had an interlude that evoked a myriad of emotions including awe of his spectacular finger work on that trumpet and then moved right into Groundation's "Jah Jah Know" ,,,tears came to my eyes. That's what's beautiful about both Bob Marley's and Groundation's music; they're both empathetic, prophetic, impelling, and inspirational. I never got to see Bob Marley play live, so I am especially grateful that Groundation does this tribute, and does it so well. I can't wait for the next show. Peace, blessings, and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment