Queen

Queen

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Travel Wide...and drink the kool-aid: Groundation

Bob Marley said, "If you're not living good, travel wide." Living good for me means great live music, so I hit the road yesterday morning for an eight hour drive to see, yes, Groundation play in Solana Beach, CA at the Belly Up. I made good time, of course, until I hit L.A. during rush hour (things I DON'T miss about L.A.). My eight hour drive then turned into 10. My joints seemed to be locked into one position, I was hungry, and all of the red lights in front of me made me want to scream. But Bob Marley was singing "Don't worry about a thing...cause every little thing is gonna be alright." (Bob is great road trip music), and I knew it would all be worth it.


The concert was sold out and the energy was high. I met other Groundation fans who used the same words I always use when talking about the group and Harrison Stafford. It was comforting to know I wasn't the only one who "drank the kool-aid." If you let it, good music will get under your skin....great music will get into your spirit. That's the "kool-aid" I'm referring to. Groundation fans always seem to be just like their music, full of love, peace seeking, and aware of our oneness. I always make new friends at their shows.


The band seemed to have even more joyful energy and eagerness to please the crowd. It must be the beautiful southern California sun and surf...the beach was blocks away.  No two shows are ever the same with Groundation which is why I try to see as many as possible. They really could phone a performance in and still put on a great show, but I have yet to see that happen. These musicians just seem to keep getting better and more excited about their craft.


When I grow up, I want to be Kim Pommell and Kerry Ann Morgan (Kerry Starr). These queens are fierce. They move with such energy, style, and precision, and then deliver soulful sounds without being out of breath. They make it look easy, but trust me, it isn't...I've tried to keep up with them.  The two of them do the I-threes proud in these tributes. Their voices are perfect for Bob's songs.


I was sure my brain would be mush by the end of the show because the solos were blowing my mind. If the drums are the engine that drives a band, last night Te Kanawa "Rufus" Haereiti took Groundation on the Autobahn. Kelsey Howard continues to amaze me on the trombone. I'll admit, I always saw the trombone as a two note instrument useful only in marching bands and orchestras. Mr. Howard keeps proving me wrong by showing me all of the different stories, moods, and emotions the trombone has. Harrison Stafford is anointed. He's talented, soulful, and believe it or not, the coolest man I know. I'm not just referring to how nice he is, I'm talking about charisma and style...the "it" factor...he doesn't try, and you may not be able to tell by looking at him, but he has it.


 I'm so happy I made the journey to see this show. I'm going to keep drinking this "kool-aid" because it brings me euphoria, peace, love, and new experiences. There's no spaceships, special clothing, secret handshakes, or passwords...just great conscious music. Bob Marley was right, "you gotta, travel wide." Take the journey with me, happiness awaits. Peace, blessings and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment