Queen

Queen

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Groundation: Valentine's Day Finale

I had a hot date with ten incredible people on Valentine's Day at the Groundation concert at the Independent in San Francisco, CA. It was a bittersweet ending to an amazing tour, but more sweet than bitter. My energy was off balance from a couple of days of mishaps and trials, so I needed the upliftment I would receive from this conscious group singing Bob Marley's conscious music. I hadn't had plans for Valentine's Day in quite a while, so this was a treat. I see love as love, not divided into categories, so I feel this day can be celebrated with anyone you love, not just a romantic interest. And let's face it, I love Groundation.

Some of the group's friends and family filed in, enhancing the atmosphere of love which is appropriate for the day and Bob Marley's music. Of course I made a new friend from my World Music Lovers group and she was primed to dance to some reggae...my kind of lady. I was a little sad when I greeted the group as I was cognizant of the fact that this may be the last time I see them for a while. But, they are like family to me, and just as with family, the love never evaporates, it just simmers until the next meeting.

Everyone in the band was on fire, playing their hearts out for their loved ones and fans on this final leg of the tour. I'm always in awe of their musicianship and cohesiveness as a group. They played two sets, and the second set was an inferno. Everyone in this group is so talented that I know their union was divinely made.  Marcus Urani burns up the keyboards, David Chachare tells intricate and emotional stories on the trumpet, Ryan Newman seduces you with his bass, Kelsey Howard adds flavor on the trombone, Te Kanawa "Rufus" Haereiti drives the music and puts the umf in your groove, Mingo "Star" Lewis Jr. awakens your tribal spirit on the timbales and congas, Kim Pommell and Kerry Ann Morgan stir your soul with their sweet voices and spirited dance moves, and then there's Harrison "The Professor" Stafford. With his unique voice, both audibly and stylistically, he tells the story of the oppressed and downtrodden, spreads the message of love, peace, equality, and hope, and educates the masses (thus the name Professor)...all the while giving you rhythm on the guitar.

I will never run out of good things to say about this group, but the best way to understand what I mean is to see them live. Yes, I'm making it my mission to get this conscious music to the masses in America...Europe, South America, and Oceania are already dialed in to this consciousness. This country is at a crossroads...one path leads to destruction, the other to redemption. You will know which path is which by the music. Groundation's music, and all conscious music will lead you to redemption. The president may be able to change policy and laws (though not without a fight from congress) but musicians can change minds, hearts, and spirits. I am grateful to have music in my life, and I give special thanks to and for Groundation for bringing me so much joy and hope. Peace, blessings, and music.

Video: Song, "Daniel" from "Building an Ark" new Groundation album due out March 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment