Queen

Queen

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Groundation + Bob Marley=Home

I've spoken often about the power of music, and I will again today. Most of you know my love for Groundation's music, however, I've only hinted about my love for Bob Marley and his music. I experienced a shift in my life when I began listening to Bob's music. My perspective about myself, the world, and humanity changed in such a way that my consciousness was elevated. Before that time, my spirit seemed to sit in limbo on a never ending search for truth. Bob's music revealed the path my spirit was to take and I've not looked back.

Groundation seemed to pull me out of a ditch on that road and gave me a gentle push towards the throne. So as you can imagine, a concert with Groundation playing Bob Marley's songs is like a homecoming for me. They say home is where the heart is. February 2, 2012 at the New Parish in Oakland, CA, Groundation welcomed me with open arms.

I met some new friends from my World Music Lovers group and everyone seemed excited to hear the band play, most for the first time. We staked out a prime spot in the front (ok I staked out the spot...that's the only way I do concerts) and warmed up to the funky roots Dj Jaques was spinning. When the band walked on stage, I felt like I was seeing old friends I hadn't seen in a while. The beauty of going to a Groundation concert is that you know you're always going to get a great show, and that was comforting.

I was pleased to hear them play many of Bob's songs that most artists seem to either forget about or shy away from in their tributes  like "Screw Face," "Caution," "She's Gone," "One Drop," and "One Love," (the original ska version). Bob Marley has a wealth of great songs and Groundation's well trained and incredibly talented musicians are able to take those songs to new heights. At a Groundation concert, one is treated with delicious mindblowing solos from the band. I love it because you can feel their passion. One of my new friends told me, "I didn't realize how sexy the trombone was until tonight." I can see how that strange instrument could be looked upon as sensual with the sliding and delicate hand and lip placement...but I think it's the fervor with which Kelsey Howard plays the instrument that evoked such a feeling within the young lady.

The band played two sets which was a treat for me. I danced hard, sang along, and loved every second of it. My new friends were also very impressed, not only by the musicianship of the band, but also by how personable they were as some of them came and met with the audience after the show. It was a great night...wait till you hear about the next night. Peace,  blessings, and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment