Queen

Queen

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Friends, how many of us have them?

True friends are a precious gift because unlike your family, they choose you. I've always tried to honor my friendships. There are those who are/were closer to my heart than others and I would/would have done anything for them. Then there are those who aren't as close but still provide a certain richness to my life with each interaction that I treasure. Then, there are acquaintances. I admit I sometimes confuse acquaintances with friends. Either we have lost touch, or we never became that close in the first place.


I have found that we reach a certain age where making real lasting friendships becomes almost impossible. For me it was after college. But then a couple of years ago, I put myself in a position to meet people who had the same passions, and I believe I have made a few more  lasting friendships. Some people put up barriers that inhibit connecting with other people. Whether it's age difference, race, religion, political views, or fear of intimacy (mental, emotional, spiritual and physical), these are all barriers to making meaningful connections and growing in the process. I have had friendships end for reasons unknown to me. It hurts, but I have to accept that certain people come into my life to enrich it for a finite amount of time. That is why I cherish the time and treasures they brought to me.


Friendships should be symbiotic, that is, mutually beneficial. In biology, symbiosis occurs  between two dissimilar organisms. That makes me aware of the fact that we can become friends with people who are different from us, with whom we have little in common, who come from different backgrounds. I read a quote that said, “Much of the vitality in a friendship lies in the honouring of differences, not simply in the enjoyment of similarities.”

Yes, friendships are tricky because human beings are often unpredictable, fickle, and moody enigmas. But what are we to do, live solitary lives? That is not why we are here together on this planet. It can be quite lonely without human companionship. I have encouraged solitary time to reflect and refresh, but no man or woman is an island. Albert Einstein once said, "Only a life lived for others is worth living." When we open ourselves up to new experiences, celebrate differences, share passions and sorrows, joy and pain, with another, it can be a wonderfully fulfilling experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment