Queen

Queen

Monday, November 29, 2010

Play I some music

"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain," "Music is a world within itself with a language we all understand," "Music is the Most High." What Bob Marley, Stevie Wonder, and Harrison Stafford expressed in these quotes from their songs is that music has an immeasurable power to stimulate, motivate, elevate, and generate positive vibrations within one's soul. I can't say enough about the power of music, at least in my life. I can recall what I was doing, what the fashions and slangs were, how I was feeling at any given time in my life, just from hearing a song. I often equate certain times in my life with the music I was listening to at that time. I have also experienced life changing personal transformations because of music.


When I first got to college, my roommate was a dark moody and brainy junior who wore all black and who loved Siouxsie and the Banshees. I was very intimidated by her. She asked me if I liked Siouxsie and the Banshees and I said yes. All of a sudden her face lit up and her mood was bright and she became my personal cultural attache, introducing me to everyone, giving me the lay of the land and survival tips. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I had never heard of the band, but I think she figured it out after a while. But having music in common was enough to break down walls and fuse a friendship.


Bob Marley's music changed my life forever. His lyrics, soul, and passion inspired me to seek what gave him such peace, faith and strength. That is how my Father the Mighty King found me. Bob's music always enlivens my spirit. I realized a few years ago, that when I am stressed I start singing "Three Little Birds" and when I'm really stressed, I unconsciously hum it. I found that out when people would start singing along as I hummed. I was listening to Bob Marley when I realized the truth about my destiny to be a queen.


Stevie Wonder's music reminds me of family, and Michael Jackson, well his music represented my childhood. This new part of my life is marked by, of course, Groundation. Not since Bob Marley has music had such an effect on my life, and that is saying a lot! Their music has renewed my spirit and strengthened my faith. I have had a rough year and Groundation not only got me through it, but above it. Give thanks Groundation.


Maya Angelou once said "Music was my refuge.  I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness." (Gather Together in my Name)  We've all run to music for comfort at some point in time in our lives, like after a break up or the loss of a love one. We use songs to express ourselves to loved ones when we can't seem to find the right words. Musicians are blessed that way. Gustav Mahler once said, "If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." Great music sometimes doesn't even need lyrics, the notes themselves speak. That's why I love the piano so much, it tells a story all by itself.

Oliver Wendell Holmes said of music, "Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons.  You will find it is to the soul what a water bath is to the body." Friedrich Nietzsche said, "Without music, life would be a mistake." I don't know if would be a mistake, but it would certainly be less pleasant, and a lot tougher to navigate. But for me, Groundation hit the nail on the head, "Music will always rescue me." Give thanks to all the players of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment