Queen

Queen

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Who's in Control?

I've been thinking about control a lot lately. Well, I 've been thinking about it a lot more since last night as I realized that what I've been dealing with is someone's need for control.  We all know people who have to have things done their way, who need to be the planner, delegator, and overseer of all situations. I have recently encountered one such person. I realized last night that there must be something she feels she can not control in her life which makes her need to control other situations.

Now, I used to be a control freak, at work. I needed things done the way I envisioned them to satisfy the little perfectionist inside me. In my personal life, I was content to trust others to plan and control certain situations while I just went along for the ride. Then one day, I realized I couldn't be in two places at one time, so I had to trust those I had put in charge. What I found was that they were capable of getting things done without me hovering, and their ideas were quite good. That was it, I was on the delegate and trust ban wagon. But I have known people whose controlling behavior has bordered on obsessive. Putting each item in a particular place and having things just so, seemed comforting to them. What is it in their personal lives that they have no control over?

Then, on the opposite end of the spectrum, I see women being controlled by men, I see people in favor of letting government agencies herd them like cattle to be x-rayed and molested all in the name of national security. No one asked a single question when their civil liberties were taken away. Yet, these same people who applaud having their most intimate parts revealed to their fellow airline passengers complain the most about what information facebook has access to. Now that's funny, because there isn't much some people won't tell on facebook.
The truth is, the only thing we can really control is ourselves. We can't control what other people say or do, but we can control how we react to them, and if we will stay in that situation. Our lives don't really belong to us. They're not random, the things that we experience, but most of what we experience on a daily basis is out of our control. We can decide where we would like to go, but if we get there, get there on time, and what we will experience, is for the most part out of our control.  I, personally, relinquish control of my life to my Father, the Mighty King. Father, after all, knows best. He has put me on a path to the throne, so I must put my trust in HIM. Then, all of the fear, anxiety, disappointment, and whatever else comes with wanting control and not getting it, goes away. Control your tongue, control your thoughts, words, and actions, and you can control your destiny. Leave the other stuff to someone who knows better.

No comments:

Post a Comment